One of the biggest problems for people who aren’t very tech savvy is getting network devices configured and running on their home LAN – let alone setting up remote access, if the device is capable of such a feat. Being the case, Cloud Engine has set out to create a NAS adapter called Pogoplug for (dumb) external USB storage and flash drives that will make the drive’s contents network accessible to computers simply via Windows Explorer / Mac Finder, as well as, anywhere in the world via the Internet by logging into my.pogoplug.com (after entering the product’s unique registration code) using a standard web browser or iPhone. From my.pogoplug.com, you can also email private links to friends and family to share files with (no additional registration on their part is required). Another great feature is that Pogoplug has an open web services platform that any developer can code for and create hooks that can share your drive’s content directly with popular backup, file synchronization, and photo printing sites. The only thing lacking from this $99 adapter ($79 if you pre-order it before March) is UPnP AV server and maybe SAMBA share functionality so it can work with LAN connected Linux PCs as well.
Related product: Addonics NAS Adapter
Pogoplug Debuts at CES 2009, Uniting External Hard Drives With The Internet to Enable a Truly Connected Lifestyle
Cloud Engines today unveiled the Pogoplug, a small device that connects external hard drives to the Internet, making personal files instantly shareable and accessible. Pogoplug enhances the mobile lifestyle by providing seamless access to digital content from any computer or mobile device around the globe.
“Consumers are buying millions of external drives to store their personal content, yet extending this content outside the home is overly difficult.,” said Daniel Putterman, chief executive officer of Cloud Engines, Inc. “Pogoplug makes this possible for anyone, with no network setup or configuration.”
Pogoplug is designed for simplicity. .Setup takes seconds and requires no networking configuration or installation. Users simply plug the Pogoplug into an electrical outlet, connect the supplied Ethernet cable to their home network router, and attach their external hard drive. Lastly, the product’s registration code is entered at my.pogoplug.com, after which the Pogoplug is online and ready for use. The device is compatible with any external USB 2.0 hard drive or memory stick. Content is accessible with any Web browser, Microsoft Windows® Explorer, Mac Finder, and through the Pogoplug iPhone application.
According to the NPD Group, consumers have purchased over seven million external hard drives in the past year alone. The Pogoplug is the perfect accessory to any external hard drive or USB thumb drive, adding desirable functionality at an affordable price, with no monthly service fees.
Key Features and Accessories
- Easy Installation – The Pogoplug connects directly to any home network and requires no special technical knowledge to setup firewalls or other configurations.
- Full Web Access – All the files from an external drive can be viewed or downloaded through any Web browser, with no need to download or install extra software.
- Access Your Data Anywhere – As long as you have an Internet connection, access your files with Windows Explorer or Mac Finder while the drive stays safely at your home.
- iPhone Application – Access all your media from an iPhone, and even send new pictures from your iPhone straight to your home with a single click.
- Safe and Simple Sharing – Easily share personal content, including video and photos, with friends and family with no uploading. No software download or registration is required by recipients.
- Open API – Pogoplug is expandable over the Web. Developers can use our open Web services interface to build new features. Soon, Pogoplug will connect directly to popular sites that offer backup, file synchronization, photo printing and more.
Pricing and Availability
The Pogoplug has a suggested retail price of $99, with no additional service fees. For a limited time, the company is offering an introductory price of $79. In the United States, the product can be ordered directly at www.pogoplug.com.
About The Pogoplug
The Pogoplug is a small device that connects an external hard drive to the Internet. It is designed for consumers who have an external hard drive and have high speed Internet. Consumers can now securely access and share all of their content [Files, Photos, and Video] from any Web browser or
enabled mobile device with no additional monthly fees. Free your inner drive.
About Cloud Engines, Inc.
Founded in 2007 by experienced entrepreneurs from the digital media and security industries, Cloud Engines is located in San Francisco, California. The company was formed with a mission to change the way personal content is stored and distributed over the Internet. The Cloud Engines philosophy is
that by making a product simple, open and affordable, the community will participate in making it better. For more information, please visit our Web site, http://www.cloudengines.com.
Tags: CES 2009, NAS, Pogoplug
Filed in: Digital Media Servers, Peripherals