While still working on version 2.0, the next version of GeeXboX (1.2) will come with some features that were requested for quite a long time. First, it’ll come in both 32 and 64 bits editions (second one is 15% faster). But more importantly, it’ll be first version of GeeXboX to come with a native HDTV screens support. So, just stay tuned, most of these features are already available, and 1.2 won’t take a year to come this time ;-) By the way, speaking about the future, we’re looking for a Sony PlayStation 3 to port GeeXboX to: that would make the best HTPC ever. Feel free to help us doing so ;-)
But let’s get back to 1.1 release and just enjoy using it.
Detailed Changelog (relative to 1.0 release) :
- Update Linux to v18.104.22.168
- Upgrade BusyBox to v1.5.1
- Update uClibc to 0.9.29.
- Upgraded SysLinux bootloader to v3.20.
- Better CPU frequency scaling capabilities.
- Added optional support for GNU glibc 2.5 in toolchain for debugging purpose.
- Upgrade to GCC 4.1.2
- Upgrade to MPlayer SVN v23418.
- Added support libavformat demuxer in addition to internal libmpdemux.
- New native VC-1/WMV3/WMV9 video decoder (Windows Media Video).
- New native On2 VP50 and VP62 decoder (Flash video).
- New native lossless audio decoders for WavPack, TTA, and Shorten.
- Support for VC1 in MPEG-TS and MPEG-PS files (like HD-DVD and BlueRay ones).
- Support for EVO demuxing (HD-DVD file format).
- Added support for VP7 binary codec.
- Added binary extra codec (through Generator) for WMA Pro files handling.
- Added binary codec for VC-1 codec as the native decoder is not (yet) able to decode all samples.
- Support for audio stream switching in MPEG-TS/PS, Matroska and streams supported by libavformat.
- Support for audio stream switching between streams with different codecs.
- New native RTSP input (handles MPEG-TS over RTP only) for generic RTSP servers (like FreeboxTV) which deprecates Live555 usage.
- H.264 decoding speed improvements.
- SSA/ASS subtitle renderer.
- Added support for ICEcast netstreams.
- Radio is now handled direclty through V4L2.
- Support for 3GP, AAC, VDR and DVR-MS files.
- Added a new Preferences menu, with many new options to control audio streams, subtitles, colors and tweak all video parameters.
- Removed libdts, libmpcdec, libogg, libvorbis and libtheora, as deprecated by new MPlayer internal decoders/demuxers.
- Allows loading external subtitle files.
- Allows setting playback speed.
- Allow selection of radio Genres, and store each genre in a subfolder for easier discovery.
- Fix with VESA on i945 cards.
- Added support for IVTV based cards (such as Hauppauge PVR 150/250/350/500).
- Support for WPA encryption on WiFi cards.
- Added support for Broadcom BCM43xx WiFi chipsets (like Apple AirPort).
- Added Ralink RT61 and RT73 chipsets support.
- Added support for wireless TI ACX111 chipsets.
- Added support for MadWiFi-NG driver.
- Added support for ZyDAS ZD12x1 wireless chipsets.
- Added support for PVR USB 2 TV card.
- Added support for Rio Karma USB mass storage devices.
- Added support for USB soundcards.
- Fixed ATI USB mouse directional keycodes.
- Added Medion (also Aldi) X-10 OEM’d remote.
- Added support for Logitech UltraX Media remote.
- Added support for some USB to serial interfaces.
- Introduced new libata support in kernel for IDE disks support.
- Do no more force disks to 32bits I/O (crashes with CompactFlash over IDE).
- Much better autodetection of USB DVB devices.
- Support for more radio cards.
- Rework of DVB firmware loader.
- Support for IPv4 multicast (useful for RTSP streams).
- Added NdisWrapper support that allows using Win32 network (WiFi) drivers under Linux.
- Upgraded bftpd to version 1.8.4 and added new file /etc/ftp for FTP authentication.
- Updated Samba to 3.0.25, uses UTF-8 charset to mount shares and fixes some mount points handling issues.
- Allows Samba and NFS mounts to come up if the servers are brought up after geexbox boots up, by looping in the background.
- Added basic WebGUI implementation.
- Support for NDISwrapper driver loading.
- Added new tab to add extra files to generated ISO image.
- New generator option to set WiFi channel number.
- Support for Windows Vista.
- Removed deprecated non-working recorder/mencoder support.
- Added remote=/receiver= cheat codes in isolinux for easy change.
- Added menus in installator for selecting remote/receivers.
- Added support for various keyboard mapping (azerty/qwerty/qwertz)
- New makefile rules to build and play VMware virtual machines (make vmx; make vmx-play).
- Fixed QEMU/VirtualBox emulation.
- Add autoplay support for USB devices.
- Reworked internationalization files.
- Support for multiple languages in the same ISO image.
- Support for JFS file system.
GeeXboX 1.1 (for x86 computers only) is available here and right now!
Filed in: Software